Sunday, October 28, 2012

What I Learned from Joseph Gordon-Levitt

Because my mother and I serve in different ministries, we never get to go to Sunday service together. I usually go on Saturdays and she usually goes to the last Sunday morning service before she serve in Spanish Service. When she gets home, we have made it a habit to discuss the sanctuary service. I went first, then my mom started to talk. She said that the offertory song "He'll Do It Again" really touched her. She said this as her eyes watered. So I grabbed her hand. She began to cry as she said some of the lyrics "We may not know how, and we may not know when, but He'll do it again". She went on to say that God brought us through this the first time, and He will do it again. By the time she stopped talking, I was crying too.

It brought me back to the movie 50/50. The movie is about a young man who has a 50 percent chance at life. It follows his life and the people around him. In a later scene, Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character has a big fight with his best friend. Later that night he finds his friend's book with notes and highlight areas about getting through sickness, making him realize that his friend has been there every step of the way and helped him all along.

As my mom cried, and as I thought about the movie, it made me think of all the people who were there for me and who have been here for me the past four years. When you are sick, you tend to think about yourself, you forget about all the pain and struggle it causes the people around you. Without my mom and without my best friends, I don't think I would have the perspective I have today. My mom and my friends are a pillar of strength and I love them so much for it.

Renae- She is the type of person that keeps it real. She doesn't tolerate pity or self doubt. She understand that I am in physical pain, but she never lets me dwell on it. She is the only person that really asks about my everyday life, like school and ministry. She keeps me focused on my day to day life, and I am very thankful for that.

Lauren- This woman is pretty awesome. She is someone who doesn't need to say anything and makes you feel better. She reads me very well, so she knows when I am happy or when I just need to be away from the world. She is the friend that understands my mood the most, so I like being around her. When I am around her, I don't have to pretend to be strong. I can just be me, and she is ok with that.

Scott- This guy. He is the friend that keeps me smiling. I get silly text messages about sticks, Wolverine and Star Wars. I know he is a very busy man, so for him to take time out of his day to talk nonsense really means a lot. I know that when I am finished talking to him, I will be smiling, and thats something I think every person who is sick needs.

Jani Lopez (aka the best mom in the world)- She has been there every step of the way, and when I am to weak, she has carried me through. She is the strongest woman I know and the most loving mother. I couldn't get through this without her. When I can't physically do something, she will help me do it. She has stayed up countless night helping me take my pills, getting me water, or just praying over me as I cry. On nights when I can't sleep because of the pain, she will even lay by my side until I fall asleep. Words can't describe how selfless she is and how amazing she is.

Like the song says, we will get through this again. Thank you guys so much for being by my side. Thank you for not abandoning me. I know sometimes it may not be easy, and I am sure sometimes you don't know what to do or say. But being who you guys are is more than enough. I love you and I thank God for you.

To anyone who is sick, I encourage you to take time today and reflect on the amazing people in your lives that we take for granted. Don't forget that they are going through this with you. They may find it hard as well. Take time to thank them for being there. And if you are healthy, I pray you take time to make an extra effort this week to be there for your friends. They need you more than you think, and you influence them more than you could imagine.
With hope and love,
Jesalyn

No comments:

Post a Comment