Saturday, November 3, 2012

As Bob Marly Once Said: Don't Worry, Be Happy

In Bob Marley's famous song, "Don't Worry, Be Happy", he says, "In your life expect some trouble, but when you worry, you make it double." Although I live on the opposite spectrum  of his life philosophy, I found a nugget of truth in his lyrics. So maybe as you read this, you can take a second to turn on the song and allow yourself to relax and be happy.

Although Bob Marley gives no solution as to how to fix your pain, the Bible says a lot about dealing with life's blows. Philippians 4:6 says this, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."

I think many times when we are sick, we worry about the worst that can happen to us. We look at the devastation it causes in our homes, our school/work lives, and even our every day relationships. We think about the setbacks it has caused our future. We think about the possibilities of having no future at all. Now, in sickness, I don't believe that its an excuse to not worry about our lives. We need to continue to make wise decisions that get us through this season and that positively effect our future. But when the worry gets to the point of anxiety, we need to give it to God and let it go.

The chapter continues with this, "and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." On Wednesday, I went to serve at the youth concert. It was also my last night with them for a while. So I decided that I wanted to give one hundred percent. For the first time in weeks I actually put more than 5 minutes into my appearance, I made sure to monitor my medication intake and I tried my best to not look or act sick.

Because I was there early to set up, one of the youth and I decided to do a slurpee run at 7/11. As we were getting to the car she said, "I can tell you are in pain, you hide it well though". We laughed about it. But it was true, I was in pain, I felt very sick, especially in the middle of the night. But in those three hours, being with the kids and having real fun, I was physically sick, but my spirit didn't feel sick. I was having the most fun I have had in a long time just by watching the kids having fun. I was truly happy.

There is a difference between feeling sick and being physically sick. When we meditate on our sickness, it becomes even more of a burden. We get so consumed with it, we forget to enjoy the pieces of life we can. The scripture is clear, if we give our anxiety to God, He will give us peace. He will guard our minds. Although sickness is hard, God still gives us times where we get to be honestly happy. In those moments, I encourage you to take them.

So this week, when you become overwhelmed with your sickness (or life's pains), I pray you take time to just give it to God. Allow Him to give you the peace you need, and allow Him to tell you, "Don't worry, be happy." Because in times of physical pain, our happiness isn't found in outward things, its found in God. And God is all we need.
With hope and love,
Jesalyn


No comments:

Post a Comment