Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Thorn in The Flesh

A Thorn in the flesh is defined as a chronic infirmity, annoyance or trouble in one's life. There are different theories about what Paul's specific "thorn" was, but most agree that it was a physical sickness or infirmity.

I think sometimes when we are sick, we get so frustrated because we pray so much. We have people lay hands on us. We walk in faith, knowing that God will take our sickness away. It's clear that Paul did the same. The scripture says that  he not only prayed, but pleaded with the God three time. Just to remind you, Paul was one of the early church apostles that went around healing people and performing miracles. The miraculous life was his lifestyle, and yet, God did not take his sickness away.

God then tells Paul that in his weakness, God is the strongest. Instead of being depressed about his illness, Paul begins to boast in it. He recognizes that because of God, he is strong. Because he is weak, God's power will rest in him.

Today is day 13 in my recovery. My arm is in a sling, and I can't move it much. Despite my arm, today is the first day I feel strong enough to get out of bed by myself. I even went into the kitchen and warmed up my dinner alone. I wish I could express how happy I am and how thankful I am to be getting physically stronger. I thank God so much, that He has been my strength through this. If I did not rely on His strength, I do not think I would be as determined as I am today to see my full healing. I thank God for His love and for His strength that  He pours on me.

Through God's grace, you are strong. Instead of becoming depressed, allow yourself to look around and be thankful Christ's power is in you. He has brought you this far because of His strength. If we rely on our weakness, we are not going to get far. But if we trust in His strength in us, we are able to move mountains. We don't have to be happy that we are sick, but we can be happy that in our weakness, Christ's strength perfects us. Today, I pray you allow yourself to be thankful for His love and strength for you.
With hope and love,
Jesalyn


2 Corinthians 12:7-10

And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure. Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me. And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.





No comments:

Post a Comment